Friday, October 23, 2009

"Super Chunky Peanut Butter. . . I have never seen anything so fine in my life"


Hey Family, How is everyone doing in the world of winter and snow and rain and all of that good stuff? les gustan mucho ¿no? Well I hope you are all well.
Signs of summer are here in Chile the days are hot and nights are cold but not so far away it will be hot alllll day.
I am becoming red skinned again and it is not the Chile diet it is that I walk about 6-7 miles a day. My clothes are huge and those sweatpants and sweatshirt you sent are even bigger! está bien.
It will keep me warm
I have put three notches in my belts, my suit is huge on me all the members laugh but whatever I am happy with loosing some weigh, I gained a bunch in the MTC.
For starters thank you so much for the package and all the goodies. I am sure to gain all the weight back now. The SUPER CHUNKY PEANUT BUTTER it is a dream come true. I have never seen something so fine in my life. I had some for lunch on Sunday seeing as our lunch appointment fell through. It was revelation Mom thanks so much. I was so happy to get those packages it made my day.
I wish I could put up some more pictures but this computer doesn’t have a slot for my card so next week. We had a district activity today and we went to the beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have missed the surf and sand so much it was like being at home but not! All the beaches here are black sand so it is cool. We played football...two hand touch...and chilled took photos and stuff it was fun. I got burned even with sunscreen I need to buy some lotion because the spray doesn’t work that well on my face It was a fun day. The bus ride back was stuffed. We were in like a small push like those little ones Emily used to take to West Valley and there were 8 missionaries and about 30 Chileans, like peas in a pod we were.
Hey Mom about the music for my Christmas gift, I would like some holiday music too. Some good appropriate holiday Christmas music. It is going to be weird to have a hot Christmas but hopefully with some songs to remind me of snow and cold will keep me from sweating too much. I am going to have a Gringo Christmas in Chile.
I spoke in sacrament meeting on Sunday about the Atonement...la expiacion....and it was a great talk. All the members were complimenting me on it and how well I speak and don’t have a Gringo accent but I slipped and said an English word and all the members have been laughing about it now, that is twice I have spoken Spanglish in a large group of people in my branch......verg Üensa...shame. I was bearing a very powerful testimony and it popped out but I quickly said the word in Spanish and went on.......so I can speak ok but I understand about 30% at most. I can understand the gist of conversations but if someone talks to me directly I am lost and they don’t understand when I tell them I don’t understand, they assume that because I speak well I can understand. But I am backwards usually missionaries can understand and not speak but I am completely the opposite. I can never do things the easy way huh....I am my fathers son!...love you Pops!
I am still having difficulties with my companion. He stretches the rules and I didn’t come on my mission to break rules. I signed saying I would follow every rule and he is causing that I can’t keep that promise. I put my foot down about money though he asked to borrow some and I said we get the same amount each month if he needs more he can call and ask the financer for more money. He was upset. At the end of the month I usually have a lot of money left over but that is because I spend it wisely and only buy what I need. We have had some head to head collisions, but I guess this is a learning experience.....how I long for the day when I get to choose my companion but it is yet two years away haha.I am doing well just that stupid stuff with my comp. I am living and not starving. I got a letter from Nick Gall and it was so good to see what he is up too. I miss him and Don a lot...and you all too. I sent Don a letter for his birthday I hope he got it. I wanted to send another today but idk if I will have time.
We had zone conference Wednesday in Talca and it was good. I understood a little more than my first one so that is good. President talked a lot about obedience and I was glad to not be uncomfortable because I know I try to follow every rule with complete exactness. A mission is not a time to be disobedient. I use every minute of my study time wisely and study in all my other free time. I figure the more time I put in the more I will get out. I love reading now....its the only thing do. Reading in Spanish is hard but I have a stack of pamphlets and church material in Spanish I am working my way through. I only use my English scriptures and "Preach My Gospel" if I really don’t understand something. I am trying to put all my focus in being more familiar with words I can use in my teaching.......one of my teachers in the MTC taught me this "Learning Spanish doesn’t fulfill my purpose as a missionary, I am learning Spanish so I can fulfill my purpose of bringing people unto Christ"That is always in my mind when I am studying. It is hard to have patience with the language but I know I wouldn’t be here if I couldn’t do it...I need to do all I can do and then the lord will help me. Without our action and willingness the Lord can’t help us. I love you all so much and I hope all is well with you. Until next week, I hope I can put some photos up then.
Love you all so much.
Love, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment