Monday, November 9, 2009

Elder Kuykendall's First Baptism

Well as you can see I have my own newspaper here in Chile now. I guess my good looks cool ties and awesome Spanish has made me quite a celebrity....not just kidding no my head is still normal size, well I can still fit through the door I mean...haha anyway the front page of my paper this week has some bad news on the cover good news also but we will start with the bad...here it is....
BAD NEWS: Elder Kuykendall gets soaking wet on sat. 31 Oct 2009
GOOD NEWS: It’s okay that he got soaking wet because he was performing a BAUTISMO, baptism.
Yes, you heard it right from the mouth of the media, I had my first baptism on Saturday. Originally she asked my comp to do it but when we visited her during the week she changed her mind and wanted me to do it. I said yes of course but she had to try and say my name first and to my surprise she got it right on the first try. Seriously it was so awesome! I was so nervous though and I was going over the words in my head all day and her name and everything I didn’t want to mess up. Only 10 people showed up but it was a great baptismal service. The spirit was so strong and she was so excited too. I got a bunch of pictures I will try and upload I hope it will work.
I was so super nervous though the font took like 3 hours to fill and it took us like 20 minutes to figure out how to do it but now I know. The girl I baptized was, Alejandra del Pilar Muñoz Espinoza, long name right, she is 11 yrs old. It was such an awesome experience took up about 2 pages in my journal. When I started to say the prayer the spirit hit me so hard and I totally forgot her name so I had to start over but it was okay. I said it slow but I got it right and only had to do it once. It was just such cool experience...the prayer in Spanish is a little tricky for a gringo but it was just so cool. I am so thankful I got to do it. She has a super strong testimony and I know she will stay active. So awesome, So that is my big huge cool news for this week.
I have another baptism on Sunday 8 Nov 2009, the girl is the daughter of less active we are reactivating. She has her interview this week. She is super ready and excited. It is good to baptize youth but this branch needs priesthood holders. We only have about 10 active Melchezedik priesthood holders, but the branch is getting better little by little. There are a lot of things that they do that are some of those so called tradition things but it is not apostacy so no need that I but in and tell them what to do. I am just here to make sure they don’t do it wrong. Sometimes they ask me how things are done and with my horrible understanding and okay Spanish I try to explain. There are some awesome members here and others just need to be strengthened and exercise a little more faith, but don’t we all?
My goal is to just drown myself in the work and follow every rule with exactness something we call "Obediencia con Exactitud". I know that is the only way to have the protection of the Lord. I studied Alma 17 this past week and that capítalo, chapter, is missionary work at its best. I love the story of Ammon and that chapter is so important to missionary work. I just hope I can be as good of a missionary as he and the other sons of Mosiah. If we keep the commandments and follow the Lord in faith He will protect us. My goal is to study at least 1 chapter a week in the el libro de mormon...all my studies are in Spanish so it takes me a while but I can see it helping my teaching I only open my English Book of Mormon for clarifying but it is a last resort. I try and study without having to do it and my quad now has a layer of dust. I dust it each week though.
I can’t believe how much I took the Book of Mormon for granted...I would read but I never truly studied it....and there is just so much to learn...I wish I had been better prepared for my mission and already knew this. But I can’t change the past I just need to press forward and continue into the future. It is my favorite book to read and I know it will stay on the top of the list as long as I keep reading. I love my study time and it flies by so fast in the morning. During lunch and free time I am studing. I could take a nap and sometimes I do but there is just so much too learn and I need to work on my Spanish so when I have free time I am usually studying Spanish. My companion thinks I am crazy but it will pay off. I can sleep after my mission.
So I am committing you all to study the scriptures at least once a week and read everyday. Trust me it sure does help the day be that much better. ¿leerán cada día? Will you read everyday? haha.
Well this week was a little better with my companion. I feel that I will be with him for another transfer. I don’t see President Chavez having him train next transfer. I guess for now the Lord wants me to be with Elder Palacio. It is a struggle everyday. When I am on a mini cambio on Tuesday I am going to talk to the zone leaders about what I should do. I am trying my best to be patient with him, but it is so hard. Last night I just had so much anger, we didn’t even plan. He said he was cold and didn’t feel good so I planned by myself. I am trying, I pray for the Lords help and I read the section about patience in pmg a coule times a week.
We have bikes but yesterday it started to rain and we were far from home and had to ride in the rain which got me 3 times more wet. Then my back tire popped so I had to walk my bike back....last night was lousy I hate when it rains because it will be sunny and then we will teach a lesson come out and it will be pouring. Good thing I brought my jacket. Now I know how it feels to live in Washington.
Well Chileans do celebrate Halloween to but it is not as cool as at home.
I have got to wrap this up quick I love you all so much and hope you all have a great week. You are all in my prayers everyday. I love you so much and thank you for everything so much. I know this is the work of the Lord and although I am having trouble with my companion, I know the Lord will bless me if I obey and serve Him with all my heart and strength. I love you all so much. tengan buenas samanas y cuidenseLove, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment