Monday, November 30, 2009

The Packages Arrived and a Christmas Challenge!

hola queridos padres, hnas, y cuñado,¿cómo estamos? jaja
Well first off I want to tell you how excited and happy I was to walk into district meeting last Tuesday and see two huge packages with the name ELDER ERIC KUYKENDALL, I had to check my plaque twice to make sure I was the one. All 17 missionaries in my zone were super jealous I had to remind them of the 10th commandment haha just kidding. Seriously it was such a happy day for me, like a 19 yr old boy on Christmas morning haha in Chile I took videos and look forward to uploading them for all of you to share the joy.
I love all the music and the speakers work great. The card reader is awesome just plugged it in and copied the pictures to my pen drive quick and easy. I won’t have time to upload photos today because I don’t have much time today on the computer but for sure next week with out fail or in Spanish "sí o sí". My companion was happy to receive his stocking but I told him he had to wait and there was no peeking. We hung them on the wall and I took a video so it is pretty funny. I turn on the Christmas music every chance I get it just reminds me of the good times and memories but I am not trunky or homesick just remembering good memories.
I have enough peanut butter to last me forever and that is good. I hope I don’t gain weight though I would hate to have to ask for new pants for my birthday but whatever. I have added two notches in my belt in the past 2 wks and yes I am eating but we walk a lot and ride our bikes a lot and now that it is hot it is even worse but don’t worry I am staying hydrated.
But seriously thank you so much and thank Mike Spencer for me too. It was nice to get 2 big packages with American food!!!!!! I haven’t opened any of the wrapped stuff or stocking, I am being a good boy. Thank you so much love yal
We were in Parral today for a zone activity and we played volleyball, chilled, had hotdogs and hamburgers for lunch. I brought the brownies from my package to share and everyone loved them. I could tell it had been a while since most of the gringos had tasted something so American and good. I was the kitchen master I felt bad that the Hermanas were cooking and they were having a hard time with the crappy pans and stuff so I jumped right in and showed off my skills in the kitchen and saved the day..... I have grease burns on my arm from the burgers but better me then the Hermanas. There are two super cute Hermanas in my zone, but I am focused on the work, my (future) wife isn’t in Chile, I am just commenting. I got some pics of me manning the stove. We played volleyball and I totally spiked the ball in Hermana Williams face, I felt so bad. I went up to spike and she went up to block and BANG right in the face, I felt so bad...she kept telling me it was no big deal. She played volleyball in college and school so she said she would be okay once she got feeling in her face back. I feel super bad though oops. Minus that it was a super fun day with everyone.
I have interviews with President Chavez tomorrow and we had conference last wed. It was super good conference. I really enjoyed it. It was even better because I could understand more. Spanish is still a struggle but I can see my improvement. I have a long way to go but with time and practice I will get there.
We didn’t have a baptism yesterday, she wasn’t ready. She was unsure about some commandments so we will teach them this week and she should be ready for this Sunday. She is super awesome but she keeps saying I cannot promise to keep the commandment because I might mess up and break one. So we just need to teach that we all break commandments because we aren’t perfect but if we try our hardest and repent that is all God asks of us. She will be ready next week. We have another golden investigator, Dariolet, she is the granddaughter of a member and she wants to get baptized so badly. She reads the Book of Mormon and comes to church. Her date is the 20th but we might move it up.
I am super excited for Heidi next time you see her tell her I am excited. I was waiting to read Chile Concepción but I guess the Lord has work for her in Boston. She will have to deal with all those Bruins and Red Sox fans haha. That is awesome though, I am going to try and write her next week but I will see.
Hey do you know if Grandma and Grandpa got the letter I sent them? and I think Ally and Lisa said they sent me letters, I haven’t gotten them yet so hopefully this week but if not I hope they didn’t get lost. I had so much to ask you all and ask how stuff is going but at the moment it is all gone.
OH ONE THING I WOULD LIKE: Mom can you send me you recipe for banana bread. Members have been asking how to make it because when they make it I tell them my mom has an awesome recipe so I told them I would ask you for it.
This coming Friday we are doing a cooking activity and I am making French Toast to share with the youth. I just wanted to make sure I have it right...super easy I know. I am thinking of taking one of the things of peanut butter but I will only let them have some if they like it cause I don’t want to waste it haha it is my precious haha.
We are doing a branch fast for missionary work in my branch to try and help the work keep moving up and not take a drop. Last year they only had 3 baptisms and this year so far they have 14 which is awesome but there is a lot of work to be done with less active and in-actives and that is where we need the members help to find them and get them to church. Some members have every excuse in the world why they can’t help us and even suggest how we can improve. Sometimes I want to say when you get your family reactivated then you can criticize me, but best answer is charity and love, that is something I am working on a lot with my companion, the people here members and non members. We were doing contacts this week and this guy I talked to told me(in Spanish but I will translate) " I know what you are doing in a different country learning a language, I know how you feel, but I don’t need what you have I am fine with my church and my beliefs" at first I was upset after he said that because he doesn’t know how hard it is being 10´s of thousands of miles from home learning a different language, he has probably never left Cauquenes, my sector, I was really mad and in my head I thinking bad things about him but, as I thought about what he said at the end and not the beginning, I truly felt sorry for him, the pride went away and the charity and love kicked in. The fact is that he isn’t okay with his beliefs and church, he needs the message of the restoration, he needs to be baptized by the proper authority and if not he cannot enter into God’s kingdom. I seriously felt sorry for this man because he didn’t know that he wasn’t rejecting me, he was rejecting Christ, the person who died for him. That experience helped me this week because every time someone rejected my message I wasn’t mad or offended, I felt sorry for those people, because they were rejecting Christ’s blessings and eternal life.
There is a reason why the spirit prompted me to knock on that door, and it was to help me. It was perfect because last week Hermana Chavez spoke about charity and as I looked over my notes from her talk it helped me realize that it is something I need to work on. I don’t hate people but I could use more love and I can show love for the people by giving them all the opportunity to listen my message, the Lord’s message. I guess that is kind of my big Aha moment for the week but it has helped the past couple days. People yell some mean stuff sometimes but instead of getting mad I should love them more.
I cannot wait to hear back from you all next week. I love Monday. I love you all so much and promise to get pictures up next week. Thank you so much for the packages and everything. I love you all so much. This is the best time of year to show the true spirit of the season, love, charity, and service. Instead of believers of Christ we need to be followers of Christ and we do that by our works and actions.
I encourage you all to look for opportunities to serve, lend a helping hand or a smile or a simple hello how are you what a better time of year to let the light of Christ and the spirit shine from us. We have the truth, we have the spirit, let’s share it with those who need it. My goal for December is too look for an opportunity to serve or help someone everyday. When we serve others they will see that we are FOLLOWERS of our Lord, Savior, King , and Friend the Only Begotten Son of our Heavenly Father. I love you all so much. I cannot wait to get the conference talks and December Liahona, we were supposed to get them last week but they haven’t come yet.
I know this is the true church and that Jesus Christ is our Savior. What a better time of year to remember His birth and help others to find the truth. I know the Book of Mormon is another witness of Christ.
I had a great experience in a lesson this week when I was saying the first vision and the spirit filled my body when I finished it, I lost all my words, I had a huge smile on my face and all I could say was this" yo sé que josé smith vio dios el padre y JesuCrist el hijo, yo sé que sin duda él fue un profeta de dios" I know Joseph Smith saw God the Father and the Son Jesus Christ, I know without a doubt he was a Prophet of God, simple I know but to me it had power. I felt it throughout my whole body, at that moment I knew, I know Joseph Smith was a prophet and I know he translated the Book of Mormon, without education he did it by the power of God. This is the work of the Lord.
I love you all so much have great weeks and cannot wait to write again next week, love you
Love Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment