Monday, March 22, 2010

Getting Back to Missionary Work

Hola,
How is everyone doing? What is the news from the states the land to the north?
Today is the first day of a new cambio and of course all want to know who leaves and who stays.....well I will have my 3rd cambio with Elder Gallo here in Cordillera and I knew that everyone did...it wasn’t a surprise but I don’t know if I can live another six weeks with him. I might explode but I have to do it, so I will do it. Oh well asi es la mission (thus it is the mission). Elder Bastow se va, has been in his sector here in Chillan for 5 cambios he came in with me and he is going to Penco to the sector of Coelemu which was hit hard by the earthquake. He is leaving me here with two latins and a gringo from his MTC distrct that I don’t know very well. oh well asi es la vida (thus it is the life).
This Saturday we had a big surprise when they called and said Pres. Chavez was coming up to do interviews with us here in Chillan to that point we were the only zone that hadn’t had interviews yet. It was good to see them and here their stories. They just got water in Concepcion this past weekend. It is crazy how different our worlds are because we are back to normal life and they will be living in destruction from months more if not for years to come. It was good to see them and I got my one of the packages, not the birthday one but I might get it in a week or 2 more I am positive I am today...I have to be to stay alive. This weekend was Stake Conference, Hermana and President Chavez were here and spoke at all the sessions. The members were blown away by their talks and they were awesome.
We had 4 investigators at church on Sunday, Janeth, who passed her baptismal interview just has to not smoke this week and for the rest of her life. We help her kick it in a week with the help of the lord and her desire to do it also. So awesome just need to help her strengthen her Testimonio de Jose Smith and she is ready for the 28 of March. 2 young women came too, they are daughters of a less active and we are working to reactivate her, Constanza 16 and Valentina 12. They are really cool and want to get baptized just need to strengthen their mom and get permiso de su papa who is in Antarctica for the military right now. So for now we are just teaching no rush but they want to do it. Alejandra, she came with her two kids Francisco 6 and Ignacia 4, I think. Ignacia likes to play with me and draw so I gave her my planner and we were drawing to keep her busy so Alejandra could listen. Alejandra is having a lot of family problems. The father of her kids is Jewish and he hates us but oh well...Alejandra has fecha for the 11 of April, that is basically it for our investigator who are progressing right now.
It has been a rough cambio with baptisms again. It has been a while for me but we have a lot that are ready just need to stay strong and the members need to help us out. With all this earthquake stuff they just complain and say they can’t help us for silly reasons but we have done a lot of service and stuff for them and they need to help their neighbors and fellow people recibir estas bendiciones (to receive these blessings).
I am doing well, plugging along as usual. This past cambio was a hard one and I know it was the hardest of my mission so far. I have just realized I was letting things get to me and most of Satanas. I let him get in my head and between me and the work and it was lame. It just helped my testimony grow that we are never safe from him, he comes at us from every direction and slowly picks away until he finds the stuff that really gets to us and when he finds it he starts going at it with a ten pound sledge and jack hammers to expose and irritate as much as possible, but if we hold strong to our faith and hold to the rod he will never win. I am glad I was able to kick him out of my head early but I know it will not be the only time. As a missionary he knows he has to work harder, but we are smarter. You can never let your guard down.
But I am good. I am ready to start this Cambio with a bang and put it all out there and work till the end not to say I wasn’t working before, it has been really hard but I let my companion get to me and little things too. I won’t let it happen again. This work is about other people and that is why I work. I am not here to be a regular person I am here to save almas (souls) to help people arrepentirse and bautizarse parar recibir un perdone de sus pecados (to regret and to be baptized, and receive pardons for sins) I love the work my Spanish still sucks but one day it will be better.
I hope you all have a good trip out to Utah and with Em at the temple. I wish I could be there but can’t....there are people who need me here.
I had so many funny stories to tell you but all have left my head, I love you all so much and love to read all your emails and all the stuff that is going on with you all back home. I hope you all have great week and take care. I know this is where I need to be and that all will be fine. I am glad to be back to normal work and grind here. You start to miss it when an earthquake messes everything up. haha. I love you all. Happy Birthday Mom.
cuidense mucho. les amo.les quiero.
Love Eric
P.S. Got the package with the syrup, I think for my bday I will have french toast with my maple syrup. thanks mom. I am sure I will get my bday pckg and if not it is okay hugs and kisses, love you

No comments:

Post a Comment