Monday, August 31, 2009

Hola de Chile‏

Hola de Chile‏

Come to think about it, Chile is an amazing place. It’s like nothing I have seen. It’s like the USA but about 15 or 20 years behind mas o menos.. Sorry for my Spanglish. I try to talk all Spanish but it is hard. Even here.,

Chile is cool. The campo (I mean country side) is beautiful with some great stuff to see. The sunsets here, when you can actually see them, are awesome. But it has been cold and hot off an on depending on the day. It is always foggy in the morning. My day is 7 to 11; long days and lots of walking. I am in a town north and a little east of Concepcion. It is called Cauquenes. I think I spelled it right. I will be here for about 3 or 4 cambios or transfers. That’s how Pres. Chavez does it. The city is pretty trashy but I expected it. It is a 3 hour bus ride from Concepcion,. So, Tuesday was a long day with not only flights but buses too. I was just glad my bags didn’t get lost.

Well, my trainer is Edler Farrelly and he is from Mesa, AZ. He goes home at the end of this transfer so I will have a new companion. He is a cool guy and I like him. In 5 weeks or so I have to learn this area and learn to understand the people. I can talk above average, people say, but I can’t understand anything, so it makes things really hard. people talk to me and I give them a weird look cause I don’t know what they are saying to me. I don’t know how to understand or learn to but I pray for the help constantly. But I guess I will just have to keep trying my hardest and work harder too.

This week has been busy and full of walking. We have nobody really to teach so it is mostly contacting and knocking on doors. Here we don’t knock on doors cause they all have gates. So we stand at the gate and yell ALO. Its funny but i am used to it now. My contacts are getting really good I usually start them and then Elder Farrelly gives the rest cause I can’t understand what they are saying, usually. We have two families we are teaching, but nothing too exciting. They are progressing slowly, but I teach about 20 or 30 percent just cause I can’t understand. I want to do more but its hard to ask questions and not understand the answer. It defeats the purpose. I am trying really hard and at the end of the day I am dead. That’s how it should be. It’s hard work but it’s great work. I hope I catch on soon cause if not I am in real trouble, ha ha. I am trying my hardest to do my part and I hope the Lord will make up the rest...I know he will but I need to wait ...it’s his time table...this is His work.

The ward here has about 55 active, so Sunday was interesting. I got to participate in two confirmations of theses two kids that were baptized last week, Nick and Joanna. I can’t remember their last name. It was cool and I introduced myself to the Ward. I hope they could understand me (I think so). Nobody can say my name and most people don’t even try, but it is all good. They have a couple of months to figure it out. Also, after lunch yesterday, the family wanted Elder Farrelly and I to give there daughter a blessing - IN SPANISH!!!!!!!!! I was so nerves. I read the anointing out of the missionary manual. But I did it. I feel so stupid because I don’t know anything but I am trying.

I went and did all my visa stuff this morning and I should have it in 2 months and then I have to go register it and get my Chilean ID, which I need, but that will be in two months or so. I am on a tourist visa as of right now for 90 days. Just keep an eye on my account. I had to pay the tax to get into Chile with my card because the guy wouldn’t take any ripped or torn bills, stupid guy. So, I had to pay with my card. I hope I don’t over draw.

The food here is good. I have gotten used to eating onions; lots of those here. Still don’t like them but I have to eat. We only eat two meals a day. I have a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then the members feed us lunch. Our lunch is two hours, 1:30 to3:30, then we work to 10 pm. It gets a little sketchy at night, but we usually have appointments. Las night we didn’t, so, we were contacting basically all day. There are a million dogs here and they are all over. Some are nice but most want to eat us. I miss my fuzzy pups. Tell her hi for me. The members wash our clothes but as of right now we have nobody who will do them so we are almost out of them. We will probably be doing them by hand. But, oh well. It is a whole different world here. I’m not in Kansas anymore but everyone here knows about CA. When I tell them where I am from, they go oh California, ha ha. Some people here hate Americans and others don’t care. It’s weird. The music here is mostly American stuff which cracks me up.

We have to pay to use the internet but I think it is only about 500 pesos an hour or something. I get 80 million pesos or $150 a month for food but I have been using my personal money because my card didn’t work last week but it did this week. So, I got money. That’s all I can think of now. This week was like running into a brick wall. President and Hermana Chavez are cool. Apparently Pres. Chavez is a seventy but not in the first or second quorum. Someone tried explaining it to me but I really didn’t understand. I was wondering why he spoke such good English. He has been in for two years so next July I will get a new Mission President. He is a really cool guy and loves this work. We are not allowed to play any sports though which sucks but rules are rules. Hermana Chavez is fun. She tries to talk in English but doesn’t have much success, ha ha. Ha ha, at least she can understand it. I can’t even understand Spanish, ha ha. Everyone asks if my name is German and in Spanish Dutch and German are “alemán.” So it is an easy question to answer. I just say, sí. Well, tell everyone hi for me and that I am doing well. I’ve got to write the Mission President a letter so I got to go.

I love you all so much and hope all is well. Don’t send me those shirts I don’t need them and you all can email me. It is probably the fasts way. Oh, and I think I lost a memory card and I am hoping it was in one of those packages I sent home if it is, just keep it. I don’t need it. Don’t bother sending anything but letters cause it will probably get jacked. I really hope I didn’t lose that card but I think you had gotten all the photos off it. It was the one I sent home. If you have it just keep it.

Well I think that is it. I love you all. I know this is the true Church. I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t. I love you all and you are in my prayers everyday. Love you.
Love, Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment