Friday, June 17, 2011

Words from Elder Holland, an Apostle of the Lord May 30, 2011

Well how is it going? Trunky yet? Well sounds like I will stay nice and thin when I get home because mom doesn’t cook anymore haha no just kidding with you all. This week was a tough one but a good one with some things, work wise we got our butts kicked this week and I tell you last night I was pretty down about it but Elder Haws got my animo up as usual. I don’t know but these past couple weeks have hit me hard as the work, we haven’t gotten into a new house in 2 weeks, so it took a toll on me I think but this week will be a great week and I cannot wait to tear it up. Did 2 entrevistas bautismales for the Elder of Tomé A and it went great, Francisco and his mom Elizabeth were baptized Saturday and on Sunday the Bishop didn’t have the confirmation in the program so I ran up to remind him and ended up doing them after the sacrament.....from what I know it should be done that way but oh well, the Stake High Councilor was there and he told me thanks for doing the right thing and that he would explain to the Bishop why it should be done before, so I did my best.....in this ward I have been here so long they treat me like a member which sounds cool but isn’t because the respect has gone down.....but I am determined to keep working hard and help this ward. It can be a great ward with more help and willingness by the members, the stake is trying to work to help more young men go on missions and so naturally it falls on us to do it all and everybody just watches. I am a little frustrated with the ward, but the Lord left me here for a reason and I need to help with a lot of prayer and fasting oh and of course study haha, I am speaking in 2 weeks in Sacrament meeting and I don’t know what to talk about......there are just so many things. but así es!

Well the best part of the week was the conference we had Friday in Conce. It was by far the best zone conference of my mission, Elder Holland spoke.....via recorded talk from the MTC (Missionary Training Center, Provo UT). The talk is being shown to all missions around the world to help the misioneros understand their calling and the importance it holds. He had given the talk in the MTC back in January, he talked about why Pedicad mi evangelio was written and he shared words from Pres. Hinckley, He said “I have seen too many returned missionaries go inactive and there is something seriously wrong if young men and women who served 18 or 24 months of their life serving and teaching the gospel and yet don’t have testimonies strong enough to stay the course and be active members of the Lord’s church.” (it isn’t an exact quote but this is what I got) you can imagine the list of names that flew through my head in this moment......he said PMG(Preach My Gospel) was written to first convert the missionary so that he can help others do the same! He said “All missionaries need to be peach my gospel missionaries!” He then talked about the great responsibility that returned missionaries have in the church and the impact that they will have in not just the church but the world, community, friends and family. he finished talking about enduring to the end.......I tell you the biggest fear for me is to come home, I have gotten so used to doing the same thing everyday, to be with my comp 24/7 and to feel the Spirit all the time that I know it will be a big shock when I get home, it wont be the same.....and if I didn’t become 100% converted I will fall and it will be harder than ever. I have made big changes in these 2 yrs and I am not the same as I was before if it shows or not I am different, and going back to what I was before is just as if I were to turn my back on the Lord and fall back into the hands of the opposition. Elder Holland used the example of the apostles after the resurrection, they went back and fished.....the Lord asked Pedro do you love me? three times and Pedro responded 3 times yes I do......the Lord told him “FEED MY SHEEP!” He told them to leave their nets and go and preach His gospel. that is the Lords call to all missionaries that we drop our nets and follow him, Elder Holland finished by saying “When you sent the letter and signed to accept your call it wasn’t for 2 yrs or 18 months” he said “it was for the rest of your life” this talk hit me hard, I cannot go back to who I was, I am not perfect nor will I every be in this life and I know I will stumble and fall and get lazy and mess up but I have to continue repenting and leaving “the nets” or sins and bad behind. That is the call the Lord extended to me and I accepted it wont be easy but its is possible through daily scripture study and reading and prayer. I know Christ is my Savior and is reason why we can change, He died so we could change and progress to live with God again. I love this gospel and I know it is true it is the only true gospel of jesucristo. I have much more to change but I know He will help me. I know the Book of Mormon is true and any member who reads it everyday and studies the teachings it contains with prayer will never go inactive because and will have the strength and testimony to vencer and superar all the problems they face.

I gave my farewell talk with other 20 missionaries at the end of the conference and it was powerful, I have come a long way and yet I haven’t reached the 1/4 mark I just hope I can do it. I love this work and hope to be able to have the energy and boldness to share the gospel for the rest of my life. I love you all so much and cannot wait to see you all, I hope you have a great week and all is well at home. I love you and pray for you all everyday. I love you have a great week. Paz fuera!!!!!!Love Eric

No comments:

Post a Comment